Installing Plastic Snaps
How Do I Attach, or Install, KAM Plastic Snaps?
Installing plastic KAM snaps is very easy, and becomes easier the longer you use them. What once took a little skill to make sure installed properly, can now be done with my eyes closed.
- All you need to get started are some pliers and plastic snaps. Starter Sets can be purchased HERE, plain plastic snaps can be purchased HERE, and KAM pliers can be purchased HERE.
- For heavier duty application, you can install snaps with the KAM Table-Top Press. The press can be purchased HERE.
BEFORE YOU GET STARTED:
What is the difference between using snap pliers and a snap press?
Snap pliers are a cheaper alternative to installing plastic snaps. They are a great choice if you are on a budget or plan for an occasional use. If you plan to install a lot of snaps, use them for commercial resale products, or you wish to use it for the versatility of installing plastic snaps, metal snaps, and grommets, the table-top press is the better option.
|Affordable||Requires hand strength / Not easy on arthritis|
|Comes with dies for different sized snaps||Small clearance|
|Compatible with other snap brands||Cannot install metal snaps|
|Lightweight||Snap installation may not be uniform|
|Compact / Takes up little space||Not for installing large amounts of snaps|
|Portable / Can travel with|
|Does not require much arm & shoulder strength|
Table-Top Press Pros
Table-Top Press Cons
|Can attach plastic snaps, metal snaps, and grommets (appropriate dies needed)||More expensive than pliers|
|Larger clearance than pliers||Dies must be purchased separately to install different sized snaps, metal snaps, or grommets|
|Can install large amounts of snaps||Dies must be switched out to install sockets and studs|
|Installs snaps more uniformly||Heavier|
|Not easily traveled with|
|Requires arm and shoulder strength|
For more information on the different table-top presses offered, go HERE.
The following instructions is a step-by-step on installing plastic KAM snaps.
- Use an awl (sharp poker tool) to first create a hole in the fabrics.
- This prevents rips from occurring in the fabric due to stress.
- Insert the cap's prong (protruding part) into the hole you just created using the awl.
- Place the socket (female part / inverted piece) hole, or stud (male part / protruding part) hole, around the protruding prong.
- Use snap pliers, or snap press, to flatten the prong into place. This will creat a barrier over the socket/stud hole to secure the two pieces in place.
NOTE: It is important to properly flatten the prong or the two pieces will separate from each other immediately or over time. Prongs that have not been properly flattened can also cause problems with closure, especially after washing and drying since heat can cause expansion. (see image below for the correct and incorrect flattening)
- You can use KAM snap pliers to install snaps.
- Or, you can use a KAM snap press to install snaps.
Thank you for reading my blog post. I hope you now know how to properly install KAM plastic snaps. If you have other questions, please check out my other blog posts for Trouble Shooting and Removing Plastic Snaps. Also, feel free to leave your questions in the comments.
Don't forget to let me know what you thought of this blog post!